We provide a guide to information on welfare services.
Operation of Mental Health Centers (incl. the Mental Health Promotion Program for Children and Youths)
This policy provides prevention and early discovery of mental health issues (including mental disorders, etc.) of adults as well as children and youths and for their treatment through counseling and rehabilitation.
Who is eligible?
- The following children, youths and mental health related person including severe mental disorder patients can visit the mental health promotion center in the domicile and apply for the policy.
- Children and youths eligible for the Mental Health Promotion Program
- - Local children and youths under the age of 18 (including preschoolers)
- - Local children and youths from underprivileged families (North Korean defectors, multicultural families, children raised by single parents or grandparents)
- - Children and youths at youth shelters (for runaways), foster homes, child welfare facilities, etc
- - Other person related with mental health of children and youths such as parents, teachers and facility workers, etc
What benefits are offered?
Regional mental health promotion centers are as follows
- Metropolitan Mental Health Promotion Centers: Each in Seoul, Busan, Daegu, Incheon, Gwangju, Daejeon, Ulsan, Gyeonggi, Gangwon, Chungbuk, Chungnam, Jeonbuk, Jeonnam, Gyeongbuk, Gyeongnam and Jeju
- Basic Mental Health Promotion Centers: Up to 1 center for cities / counties / districts with population less than 200,000, or up to 2 centers for cities / counties / districts with population greater than 200,000 can be installed. Up to 1 additional center per population of 200,000 can be installed. (Example: Up to 2 centers for 400,000 population, and up to 3 centers for 600,000 population can be installed.)
- The program pays for the definitive diagnostic costs of children and youths from low-income families (beneficiaries of allowances for livelihood, healthcare, residence, and education or near-poverty households) within the budget.
- Other types of services, including counseling and case management, are also available.
How can I apply?
- Apply in person at the mental health promotion center of your si, do, gun or gu.
- Applications are reviewed and approved through the following process:
Apply at the mental health promotion center of each si, do, gun or gu.
A review is performed by the mental health promotion center of each si, do, gun or gu.
Service is assured by the mental health promotion center of each si, do, gun or gu
Service is provided by the mental health promotion center of each si, do, gun or gu
Ministry of Health and Welfare Call Center: ☎ 129
- Related Websites
- Forms / Resources
- Applicable Acts
Mental Health Act
The above welfare services are as of 2018. (Ministry of Health and Welfare, Division of Mental Health Policy)