We provide a guide to information on welfare services.
Infant (Ages 0 – 5) Day Care Center Support Policy
This policy supports day care center tuition fees of infants on day care centers to reduce the burden of child care expenses and help household economy.
Who is eligible?
- The day care center costs for infants aged 0 – 5 on day care centers are provided.
- Infants aged between 0 and 5 are classified into age groups as follows.
- Infants aged 0: Born after January 1, 2017
- Infants aged 1: Born in January 1, 2016 – December 31, 2015
- Infants aged 2: Born in January 1, 2015 – December 31, 2015
- Infants aged 3: Born in January 1, 2014 – December 31, 2014
- Infants aged 4: Born in January 1, 2013 – December 31, 2013
- Infants aged 5: Born in January 1, 2012 – December 31, 2012
- Infants who postponed school entrance: Born in January 1, 2011 – December 31, 2011
- In the above cases, the free child raising period for infants on Nuri course at kindergartens and day care centers may not exceed three years.
- With the enforcement of customized childcare on July 1, 2016, childcare services (all-day or customized) are available on the needs of parents and children.
- All-day classes (12 hours/day) are available if extended use of day care center is needed due to employment, job searching, multi-child families and children raised by grandparent. Otherwise, customized classes (6 hours/day + 15 hours/month of emergency childcare voucher) are supported for set duration of childcare services.
- Supports start on the day of application for day care center costs at local governments.
- In case of changing from childcare allowance to day care subsidy, apply before 15th of the month for day care subsidy for the month of application date. Otherwise, after 16th of the month, supports will start from the 1st of the following month.
- According to the childcare circumstances of the child (home care ↔ day care center ↔ kindergarten), change of services is needed.
What benefits are offered?
- Day care subsidy is graded by age group as per below.
- Infant aged 0: (All-day) KRW 441,000 / (Customized) KRW 344,000
- Infant aged 1: (All-day) KRW 388,000 / (Customized) KRW 302,000
- Infant aged 2: (All-day) KRW 320,000 / (Customized) KRW 250,000
- Infant aged 3- 5: KRW 220,000
- For infants aged 0 – 2 in customized classes, emergency childcare vouchers worth 15 hours/month are provided.
※ Unused monthly vouchers may be carried forward to February of the following year.
- Since day care subsidies are provided only for infants actually using day care centers, infants residing overseas are not eligible. Also, since infants residing 90 days or more overseas will disqualify for day care subsidy. Therefore, for continued support when you return home, you need to apply again.
- To change qualification from customized type to all-day type or vice versa, you need to apply for change of qualification online on Bokjiro or by visiting the local community center.
How can I apply?
- You can apply by visiting eup, myeon or dong community center in your area of residence or online on Bokjiro.(online.bokjiro.go.kr)
- You can apply in the following procedures.
Initial Consultation and Service Application
Apply for day care subsidy at eup, myeon or dong community center or online (Bokjiro).
Comprehensive Investigation of Subject and Confirmation
Si, gun or gu office investigates and confirms application.
Services are provided to successful applicant.
Ministry of Health and Welfare Call Center ☎ 129
i-Sarang Help Desk ☎ 1566-3232(Speed-dial #1)
- Related Websites
- Forms / Resources
- Applicable Acts
Infant Care Act
The above mentioned welfare services are as of 2018. (Ministry of Health and Welfare, Division of Childcare Planning)